So I don’t even know where to start on this post because the best thing ever happened last night. It would be number 1 on this list of good things, and that is that we got our pug puppy, Mearl-Purvis Ponder (Mearl for short)! She is darling, and we are in love. She slept through the night (that is after we gave in to her whining in her crate and put her in bed with us). K. and I are both smitten.
If you’re local and wondering if Mearl Purvis sounds familiar, you’d be right. She’s the anchorwoman out of Memphis. We were flipping channels watching for snow day information one time, and we somehow ended up on Memphis. I heard the name Mearl Purvis, and I said, “That’s an interesting name,” and Kelly took to calling me that as a pet name whenever I’d get sassy (e.g. all the time). When he asked me what we would name our new puppy, of course I said, Mearl-Purvis Ponder! We named our last cat after the Pope so there you go. Speaking of the cats, they’re kind of still a little freaked out/curious, but it hasn’t been quite as bad as I thought it would be so I’m hopeful we’ll all get on the same page! We are now those people that have four pets. Feel free to judge us.
- So our recent trip to Oxford, Mississippi was yet again amazing. I’m looking forward to telling you all about in a series of posts here. One thing I’m thankful for is that last weekend I tried a Mint Julep for the first time! I can’t really believe that myself, but while I’m open to try new things, I usually stick with stuff I love in the world of booze. There are lot of cocktails I enjoy, and it depends on my mood what I’ll drink. I don’t see myself ever getting sick of the Mint Julep! I see why it’s pretty much the south in a glass, and it’s so refreshing. I could’ve put away several, but K. kept me in check since they were a little pricey.
- I’m a bit of a mugaholic. I like coffee mugs, a lot. There are two humans in our household, and we definitely don’t need all the ones we have. I just can’t seem to resist. Fortunately, I drink a ton of coffee. Kelly brought me home a surprise Star Trek mug last week, and then, I picked up the Garfield one at the Goodwill in Oxford. It pretty much sums up my personality. I also got a pair of great green glasses (shown below) and new art for our house (photo to come). We really have no room left in our house for any art, but that never stops me. It’s one of my favorite things to buy and decorate a house with besides books.
- This will be the Summer of Popsicles! I’ve already started off with some that are amazing (King of Pops Thai Iced Tea and Banana Cream Pie), and I’m thinking of getting some molds so I can look up some fancy recipes to make. I really should pull out my ice cream maker and get some goodness out of that thing. Homemade ice cream really is amazing. I should make it more.
- I’m finally going to see Dolly Parton with Mom in August, and I couldn’t be more excited!
- Sometimes I joke with Kelly that the only person that reads this blog is my Mom. That’s totally okay because I mostly write here for my own records, but it was nice to have a friend reach out to me recently. She’d been struggling with some personal issues and had some questions and said that she’d always “appreciated my honesty about my mental health struggles.” That’s the key, folks. Be more transparent. People struggle all the time, and it’s unfortunate that so often everything is shrouded in secrecy. I am so glad that I’ve always been honest here because it encouraged someone else. Another friend stopped in the caf recently, and he said, “I always eagerly scroll back to your posts on Facebook because I know you’ll make me laugh.” I sometimes think maybe I shouldn’t ramble so much on social media, but I’m glad some of you like it.
That’s it for Thankful Thursday, guys! I’m hoping to update over the weekend with some talk about our recent Oxford trip, but we’ll see. After all, I am enjoying nothing more than staring lovingly at my new funny little furry friend. Kelly graciously brought me a salad for dinner to our bedroom because I insisted that I couldn’t stop hanging out with her for one second. Thanks for being the best husband ever, K.!