Hey, dudes. I have some upcoming posts about a recent weekend getaway to Oxford, Mississippi I’ve been working on, but until those are ready (because I’m the procrastinating sort), here’s an update of me just rambling! There are a lot of recent new things I’m digging. One of my student employees has fostered to many time sucking addictions in my life. I owe her for at least two of the items on my list below.
- 60 Days In–So this is one of those “why did I let my student convince me to get hooked on this show”? Kelly and I have breezed through all the episodes on the A&E app on our Apple TV, and now, we are watching it every Thursday. You can watch the episodes online here. It’s about a corrupt jail that comes up with this program that places seven civilians undercover in the jail to help determine how inmates are smuggling drugs in, etc. It didn’t sound like my bag, but the way my student kept talking about it, I caved and it’s as good as she promised. I can’t wait to watch tomorrow’s episode. Want to make this show even better? Watch the episode while scrolling through twitter #60DaysIn as people live tweet it. You will laugh so hard.
- Miitomo–This is the other addiction the student started me on which is an app on my iPhone wherein you get to make a cute character and answer questions about yourself and learn things about your friends. You can dress them in different clothes, and the highlight of my week was when I bought little Cash Money (my Mii character) a cat suit. Dream come true! Yes, I’m an adult that still plays video games, but when you don’t have kids, you get to do that sort of thing. Children are entirely overrated. All the moneys and all the time=all mine!
- My new favorite artist that I recently discovered is Kelly Puissegur. I want everything she’s done. Seriously, so many wonderful pieces. I bought the one below as my first purchase because A. I love sugar that much (Yes, I know I’ll be diabetic some day. Yes, I have massive amounts of dental work, but I know my dentist appreciates me.), and B. it reminds me of my role model, Little Chrissy from Pecker. They have the same hollow sugar-high zombie eye circles, no? I want so much of her stuff. My next purchase may be this or maybe this. I love it all!
- I’ve been spending so much time reading lately. I finished the Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children books which I loved. I can’t wait to see the movie even though I never like films as much as books. I also read One Matchless Time: A Life of William Faulkner by Jay Parini which was amazing, but then I’m so obsessed with Faulkner right now and Oxford, Mississippi (more to come about the place and the writer in future blog posts). I’m trying to convince Kelly that we need to move there and get jobs at Ole Miss. I LOVE that town. It’s a like a bunch of book nerds started a town. It’s quaint, everyone’s friendly, and I’m convinced every single restaurant has the best food you’ve had in your life. I can’t fathom why anyone would live anywhere but the south? I really never thought I’d fall so in love with Mississippi, but there you have it. My goal is to keep an eye for jobs at their university and hopefully some day we could live there. It’s close enough to our state that hopefully, my Arkansas boy wouldn’t be too upset. Another book by a Mississippian I read was My Cat Spit McGee. It’s by the same guy that wrote My Dog Skip. I read it in an about an hour, and it was a sweet story. I’m currently reading Erik Larson’s Dead Wake. I love his stuff. It’s nonfiction history, but it reads like a novel you can’t put down. He’s great!
- Our favorite Greek food truck is open downtown again! If you haven’t checked out Partovi’s yet, do yourself a favor. I usually grab a spicy gyro, but a few weekends ago I was feeling like a gross fat kid nosh session so I went for the spicy lamb gyro fries, and I can testify, they were amazing, too!
- The trailer was released for the First Monday in May, and I have to see it. I definitely think fashion is an art, and this film looks like it promises to be magical.
- They had this little guy on campus today for a fundraiser, and I begged Kelly to let us take him home. Fortunately for our cats, he insisted they were enough pets. I put him in Kelly’s arms to try to persuade him, and while he gave Kelly a lick, it wasn’t enough to get him past the idea of us becoming animal hoarders.
- Speaking of animal hoarding, our three cats are so excited (and so were we) to get gifted a FREE cat tree from a friend! They are loving life, and it helps with the arguing between the two male cats to have a high place for them to get away from one another and have a little quiet time.
- Do you all watch Girls? I thought this season was the best yet. I loved every single episode. I’m sad that next year will be the last season.